Sponsor Directory

Thompson river

Thompson river

Postby LundNW » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:39 am

I'm looking into some info. and insight on the Thompson river.
Possibly put in in Kamloops and head east, how far has most gone for the day and has anyone camped out while on the river?
Also can anyone tell me if the section between Kamloops lake and Fraser river is doable?
NWjet 19.6 Freedom, 5.7L efi, SD309AT.
LundNW
Boat Enthusiast

Re: Thompson river

Postby steve05 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:37 pm

From the lake to Gold Pan Prov. Park river is easily run. Downstream from there you enter Devils Gorge where intensity of rapids goes WAY up. Most are skirtable, couple are not so you need to scout and have a plan. Most of the big ones are beside HWY but couple downstream are not easily accessed other than by water. Suggest floating by raft before taking anything of value down there. Of course going upstream is easier. Two launch spots at Lytton.
steve05
Deck Swab

Postby joejax » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Drove by Frogrock today and its only about two feet is out of the water. Insanely high water these days. Not even the rafters are going down.
joejax
Novice Baiter

Postby LundNW » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Has anyone had experience heading towards Barrier or even near Clearwater?
LundNW
Boat Enthusiast

Postby fogducker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:46 pm

I've run the T from Lytton to Kamloops and back a few times, I wouldn't run it down stream with out running up the river first. This is kind of important at Frog rock, I'd hate to get down below it then find out my boat won't climb back up again. That said now would be a great time to run it with the water being high enough you won't need to worry about hitting rocks anywhere for the most part, also seems like the high the water on this river the flatter it gets. Funny you mention heading north from Kamloops, I was contemplating a run up that way this weekend to Barrier maybe further.
fogducker
Novice Baiter

Postby LundNW » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:43 am

fogducker wrote:I've run the T from Lytton to Kamloops and back a few times, I wouldn't run it down stream with out running up the river first. This is kind of important at Frog rock, I'd hate to get down below it then find out my boat won't climb back up again. That said now would be a great time to run it with the water being high enough you won't need to worry about hitting rocks anywhere for the most part, also seems like the high the water on this river the flatter it gets. Funny you mention heading north from Kamloops, I was contemplating a run up that way this weekend to Barrier maybe further.

You'ed be the guy to hookup with to gain experience in that river then. I have rafted on there and gone past Frog rock in the raft, it was like September about 8yrs ago. Haven't been since.
LundNW
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Great White » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:51 am

Hey Alan,
How about we get our CW's together for a playdate run of the Thompson, Lytton to Kamloops?

It would nice to run that river in high water for a change, we're even free tomorrow...Sunday.
28' Custom Weld Twin...350's/212's.
Great White
Master Baiter

Postby joejax » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:36 am

Let me know when you're leaving lytton and I'll try to film you guys at the Frog (worken between Spences Bridge and Lytton). Maybe boating around Savona in the afternoon too. :Drink:
joejax
Novice Baiter

Postby joejax » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Frogrock this morning. The waterlevel has actually gone down since yesterday.
Attachments
IMAG0127.jpg
joejax
Novice Baiter

Postby Great White » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:23 pm

The river levels are nuts for this time of year....that's for posting the pic.
28' Custom Weld Twin...350's/212's.
Great White
Master Baiter

Postby jpar247 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:49 pm

joejax wrote:Frogrock this morning. The waterlevel has actually gone down since yesterday.

Thats insane!
jpar247
Master Baiter

Postby coho dr » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:14 pm

I drove by on Sunday, the river was HUGE. Let me know when you guys are going to run it,would be great to video. I'm looking to camp up there (Martell rapids) at the end of July for some flyfishing. Any input would be appreciated , I have never been on this river.
21' Storm Kodiak 350 SD203 WALLET CRUSHER!!!
coho dr
Novice Baiter

Postby LundNW » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 am

Staying on the Kamloops side of Goldpan, is there lot's of camping available and is it best to launch in Kamloops lake?
LundNW
Boat Enthusiast

Postby skinnydog » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:57 pm

maybe a little after the fact, but running the rive from kamloops lake to the east is a nice run, calm waters but can be quite shallow. As for places to camp, it's pretty much privately owned right to little shuswap other than bannana island so not the best camping. Thompson river to the Fraser is an awesome trip right now in the beginning of July with the high water, huge rapids and virtually no rocks to worry about ( as long as you can fit under the bridges). I do recommend it if you don't mind getting wet!
skinnydog
Deck Swab

Postby LundNW » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:18 pm

skinnydog wrote:maybe a little after the fact, but running the rive from kamloops lake to the east is a nice run, calm waters but can be quite shallow. As for places to camp, it's pretty much privately owned right to little shuswap other than bannana island so not the best camping. Thompson river to the Fraser is an awesome trip right now in the beginning of July with the high water, huge rapids and virtually no rocks to worry about ( as long as you can fit under the bridges). I do recommend it if you don't mind getting wet!

I'ed love to try it but not on my own. If i knew of a few other boats going i'ed go to gain the experience. It would be a great time, as long as someone knew the river well.
LundNW
Boat Enthusiast

Postby joejax » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:26 am

Its sweet right now . lots of water, but it has dropped a bit. Seen a propped zodiac between ashcroft and wallachin yesterday. This was from a couple of weeks ago when there was lots of crap floating around. Much better now. Kinda boring video but it gives you an idea what it's like :Drink:
joejax
Novice Baiter

Postby LundNW » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:11 am

joejax wrote:Its sweet right now . lots of water, but it has dropped a bit. Seen a propped zodiac between ashcroft and wallachin yesterday. This was from a couple of weeks ago when there was lots of crap floating around. Much better now. Kinda boring video but it gives you an idea what it's like :Drink:

Good video actualy, it does give a good idea of the water conditions. Where about was this taken on the Thompson?
LundNW
Boat Enthusiast

Postby joejax » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:43 pm

between Wallachin and Savona.
joejax
Novice Baiter

Postby ridersride » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:54 am

Here some video of coming up through Devils Gorge last yr ... I love the Thompson River, Fast fun and big what else could a Jet Boater want. Please keep me in mind for any trips I'm in!

08 22ft HCM 8.1 HO 212
ridersride
Boat Enthusiast

Postby joejax » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:57 am

Thought i would post a pic of Frogrock today, if you can see it. More water than last year.
Attachments
IMG_5530.jpg
joejax
Novice Baiter

Next

Return to British Columbia