Sponsor Directory

Delta Pad + Tunnel + Reverse Chines for Small Boats

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

Delta Pad + Tunnel + Reverse Chines for Small Boats

Postby BonyWaters » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:47 pm

I am thinking of building a 14-16' outboard tunnel hull boat in the near future as my first build. Are there any builders doing a delta pad to tunnel hull for outboards? What is the best hull configuration for an outboard. In addition, are reverse chines worth it on smaller slower boats. I heard they are pointless in boats that go under 40mph? Any truth to this stuff?
BonyWaters
Deck Swab

Re: Delta Pad + Tunnel + Reverse Chines for Small Boats

Postby Damworker » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:53 am

The boats (outboard power) that I have been in were just reverse chine and kicked butt. They turned like they were on rails got on plane way quicker and stayed on plane at a lower speed. The other thing is even if the boat was not balanced in load from side to side it would level out pretty nicely under power. I have no experience with the tunnel hull stuff. When you build share some pictures.

Tom
21' storm, 212 1/4 bottom wife liked darkred boat and said buy it. Just following the right orders.
><(((((((('> Fish on.
Damworker
Captain

Postby jetboatman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Damn, I can't believe I just wrote a long post, and forgot to login before, lost it, and couldn't get it back. S**t I hate getting old. Golden years my ass. Here goes a shorter version again.
14' jet boats get very small when you get in them. The boats on the commercial market are all lighter weight hulls, and with 48"-54" bottoms. 16' boat has some room to do things to it, and in it. Most mfr's that make them in heavy gauge, use 60"-66" bottoms. There's a difference between a "formed reverse chine" and a extruded reverse chine. Extruded has very little reverse to it. Formed reverse chines are much wider, and help with lift in the hull and stabilization of listing side to side.
Only a small few Mfr's make formed reverse chines in small heavy gauge boats. Lots of Mfr's have started forming wide reverse chines into deep V boats, even though their mfr'ing style is using a extruded chine. A few Mfr's make welded tunnels, and some do make delta to tunnel feeders. Straight delta is much easier to build, so thats what you see mostly.
Unless you just need a heavy gauge hobby, you might want to consider one of the lighter weight open hulls on the market, like Tracker or Lowe (.100) You can get a 18' x 60" for $3250 area. Motor is always most expensive item.
I am the ultimate project maker, and not finisher. If you are interested in a 16' Landing craft bow boat (equal to 18' length normal bow boat), .160 material, 72" bottom, formed reverse chines, planeing strakes, 25" inboard style transom, delta to tunnel hull, 8o transom, to 14o-15o bow entry, totally open construction style (like a large dance floor), with heavier welded steel trailer. NEVER HAD A MOTOR ON IT. Bought 7 years ago to have, when I retired back in Idaho, and could just load the 4 wheeler in it, and hunt out of it. Power was going to be outboard jet, or Jetski motor and pump. Hasn't happened !! So, I have come to the conclusion, that at 70 years of age, I am never going to complete some of the projects I had planned. Its going to be for sale for $7000 for pkg. Someone will have a great project boat, but sorry to say it won't be me at this time. I am doing better, I have gone from 5 boats 3 months ago, to 3 now. My wife says as soon as I get the boat parking area cleared out, I can go back to buying more. LOL
jetboatman
First Mate

Postby Damworker » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Jetboatman you got a good wife. One of the boats I was talking about was a 22' Weldcraft with real wide reverse chines and a 225 Honda. It had way better performance in what I talked about in my earlier post then the other boats with out the reverse chine. The other mfgs. told me you don't need reverse chines until you are over 25'. Then they said fine if you want them we will build a boat for you with them :D .

Tom
21' storm, 212 1/4 bottom wife liked darkred boat and said buy it. Just following the right orders.
><(((((((('> Fish on.
Damworker
Captain

Postby dustin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 pm

I had the same experience with a 22' weldcraft outboard as tom. It had a yami 250 though and cornered like no boat I had ever been on. It didn't lean,slide or tilt as we cornered. Very impressive.
if anyone needs pictures hosted on meanchicken email them to me and ill post them up for you. you just make the thread and ill post your pictures: hondaatwsu@msn.com

flatlanderracing.com
modernspeed.com
haxbyspeed.com
scatcrankshafts.com
summitracing.com
airflowresearch.com
dustin
Captain

Postby BonyWaters » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I know guys are using extruded chines, but I plan on forming them in the hull pieces. I don't want to buy a cookie cutter boat as that takes the fun out of it. I want something customized to my liking. In addition, I want to learn by building my own. I plan on trying a small boat first, maybe build a few for friends, and then moving up to something a little different. If I am successful I might try an inboard boat in the future. I like the smaller 16-17' skinny water inboard boats. Lots of fun, lighter, and easier to push off the rocks.
BonyWaters
Deck Swab

Postby mountainmanmark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:19 pm

To your question about tunnel hulls: Tunnel hulls are great for running shallow but they do not work well with OB jets because the water entering the intake of the unit is so aerated by the time it exits the tunnel its hard for the jet to keep its grip.
1975 20' Almar "AquAffliction"
mountainmanmark
Novice Baiter

Postby Great White » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:21 pm

If I was bending the chines in the bottom, then my set up would be 6 degrees, tunnel, no strakes.

Have fun.
28' Custom Weld Twin...350's/212's.
Great White
First Mate

Postby Great White » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:26 pm

mountainmanmark wrote:To your question about tunnel hulls: Tunnel hulls are great for running shallow but they do not work well with OB jets because the water entering the intake of the unit is so aerated by the time it exits the tunnel its hard for the jet to keep its grip.

My experience is alittle different....in my experience tunnels work great with OB jets as long as the dead rise isn't too steep.
28' Custom Weld Twin...350's/212's.
Great White
First Mate

Postby f0zzy2 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:24 pm

mountainmanmark wrote:To your question about tunnel hulls: Tunnel hulls are great for running shallow but they do not work well with OB jets because the water entering the intake of the unit is so aerated by the time it exits the tunnel its hard for the jet to keep its grip.

I would disagree also. Wooldridge have been building them forever and they and they work great. I built one for and 18' and used the formula that outboard jets has on their web page and it was the best mod I ever did to that boat.

http://www.outboardjets.com/boatSelection.php
2008 Willie Predator/SJ powered
f0zzy2
Deck Swab

Postby jetboatman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:30 pm

Tunnels have always fed the pump good, provide protection to shoe. The aeration comes mainly on hard turns, as the tunnel drags causing the bubbles . They have never been deep V type hulls in alum. Flat bottoms without some straking slide a lot, so makes sense to use some. Formed in reverse chines, won't be of a lot of value on lower dearises. Extruded chines are made for ease of putting the boat together, and help in cornering some, however theres lots of situation from the past on smaller , flatter bottom boats, where they had a tendacy to slide and grab, throwing people out of the boat. Have seen it !!!
Only one or 2 MFR's in the USA, don't use the method of extruded chines in making their boats. Lots of good ideas on making "new wheels", but may be less expensive to use some tried and proven methods.
jetboatman
First Mate

Return to Mechanics