Sponsor Directory

8 foot sturgeon

Show us your boat and where you use it.

8 foot sturgeon

Postby Spawn Star » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:52 pm

8 footer up Hells Canyon
Attachments
100_6060.JPG
Last edited by Spawn Star on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spawn Star
Deck Swab

Re: 8 foot sturgeon

Postby Sideways » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:13 pm

Sweet fish 8-)
19' Custom Weld Viper
Sideways
Novice Baiter

Postby swampswimmingshrek » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Nice fish. Please read page 33 in Idaho's Fishing Regulations.

Here are the regs online if you don't have them.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fish/rules/clear.pdf
swampswimmingshrek
Captain

Postby Riverrunner » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Especially the part about it being illegal to remove a sturgeon from the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Riverrunner
Deck Swab

Postby Hillbilly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:13 am

It looks like that fish is in the water to me. What are you guys (fish cops)!!!!
Hillbilly
Beer Boy

Postby swampswimmingshrek » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 am

Hillbilly wrote:It looks like that fish is in the water to me. What are you guys (fish cops)!!!!

I'm not a biologist but I will repeat what I have been told by a few of them. Sturgeon don't have any bones and no way to support their weight out of the water. When large fish are lifted out of the water there own weight actually crushes and damages their insides.

Again I'm no biologist but that is what I have been told and I for one wouldn't mind a chance to catch that fish someday. But if it dies I won't get that chance will I. :cry:
swampswimmingshrek
Captain

Postby Hell Yes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 am

That is not the same pic, it was edited after Shrek posted. i agree, the fish needs to stay in the water. Pics can still be taken. Any catch and release fish should never be taken out of the water or touched in its gills or sides. It can be done correctly with a little effort.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby rockcrusher » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:37 pm

swampswimmingshrek wrote:
Hillbilly wrote:It looks like that fish is in the water to me. What are you guys (fish cops)!!!!

I'm not a biologist but I will repeat what I have been told by a few of them. Sturgeon don't have any bones and no way to support their weight out of the water. When large fish are lifted out of the water there own weight actually crushes and damages their insides.

Again I'm no biologist but that is what I have been told and I for one wouldn't mind a chance to catch that fish someday. But if it dies I won't get that chance will I. :cry:

Shrek, they didn't harm that fish no more than your upside down boat in Landslide, fuel, oil, ect... But I'm sure you cleaned all that up.. ;) In fact I"m sure you had to file something with the EPA..
;)
"KEYSTONE KID"
rockcrusher
Forum Enthusiast

Postby On The Rocks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Nice looking fish guys, looks like it was a blast to catch. Dont let the internet get you down, everyone is perfect when they are judging you.
1970 Oakes 22' 383 stroker, kodiak 3 stage
On The Rocks
First Mate

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:34 pm

That fish was unharmed, and quickly released. Yes, it shouldn't of been lifted out of the water for a quick picture, but it was supported in a manner as to not harm it. Its gills were never touched. I sure love when people are quick to criticize fello sportsman. But I'm sure you have never lifted a wild steelhead out of the water, broke the speed limit, always come to a complete stop at a stop sign, and always use your blinker too. I'd look up the state laws and post the links, but thats a waist of my time. We all know what is right and wrong, but nobody is perfect.
Flip
Deck Swab

Postby riverlandman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 am

nice fish
2010 Riddle RMX 24' 8.1HO HJ241
riverlandman
Buoy Boy

Postby SouthernShrek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:29 am

Flip wrote:That fish was unharmed, and quickly released. Yes, it shouldn't of been lifted out of the water for a quick picture, but it was supported in a manner as to not harm it. Its gills were never touched. I sure love when people are quick to criticize fello sportsman. But I'm sure you have never lifted a wild steelhead out of the water, broke the speed limit, always come to a complete stop at a stop sign, and always use your blinker too. I'd look up the state laws and post the links, but thats a waist of my time. We all know what is right and wrong, but nobody is perfect.

Flip a very nice post and nice to see the fish go for another fight.... Cheers SS
SouthernShrek
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Exactboats » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 am

Nice sturgeon. As far a I know you can lift a sturgeon out of the water with a cradle stretcher supporting the whole body. I beleive thats how the biologist lift the fish out of the water to do their research on sturgeon. We don't have to worry about that unfortunately in this area we can't even catch and release sturgeon anymore. Claude.
Last edited by Exactboats on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exactboats
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby SpokaneCW » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:32 am

rockcrusher wrote:
swampswimmingshrek wrote:

Shrek, they didn't harm that fish no more than your upside down boat in Landslide, fuel, oil, ect... But I'm sure you cleaned all that up.. ;) In fact I"m sure you had to file something with the EPA..
;)

:D :D :D :o
SpokaneCW
Novice Baiter

Postby swampswimmingshrek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:39 am

Flip wrote:That fish was unharmed, and quickly released. Yes, it shouldn't of been lifted out of the water for a quick picture, but it was supported in a manner as to not harm it. Its gills were never touched. I sure love when people are quick to criticize fello sportsman. But I'm sure you have never lifted a wild steelhead out of the water, broke the speed limit, always come to a complete stop at a stop sign, and always use your blinker too. I'd look up the state laws and post the links, but thats a waist of my time. We all know what is right and wrong, but nobody is perfect.

haha your right I did speed two weeks ago and got a ticket cost me $75....In fact I need to go pay that. I also blew through a stop sign about 10 years ago and caused an accident and had to pay that ticket too I think it was $150 plus my insurance went through the roof! Shot 3 Dowitchers thinking they were snipe I think they cost me $400 and a year probation, but that was better then the $3,000 they were trying for. Wrecked my boat on the Payette and I still pay for it daily by guys using my misfortune to state points. This is all why I thought he rather us point it out for free, than the guy with the badge and him having to pay a ticket.

I looked at saying something to help a fellow sportsman, you guys look at it as critisizing him. Guess next time maybe I should just let F&G do there job huh!

Its sad its *hit like this that makes you not wanna help guys out anymore. If they aren't calling you a lier, they are busy trying to show you up or cause problems. Kinda like Rockcrusher taking his shots at my misfortune to make a point. I wish Rockcrusher all the luck in the world and hope he never has a misfortune like that.

Good Luck to all you.
swampswimmingshrek
Captain

Postby Dundee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:25 am

i did notice the person that made the post is not stirring things up
Dundee
Novice Baiter

Postby BentRock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 pm

lets see, all that was said was, " nice fish, please read regs." I would much rather be enlightened on here than with a fat ticket. :smoking:
BentRock
Buoy Boy

Postby m1ashooter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm

BentRock wrote:lets see, all that was said was, " nice fish, please read regs." I would much rather be enlightened on here than with a fat ticket. :smoking:

I agree, fish cops do read online forums and photos can be used as evidence.

Don't let the thread get into mudslinging or it will be closed.
Jetboats, helping guys like me meet chicks since, well you get the point..
m1ashooter
EL Conquistador

Postby Hell Yes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:09 pm

I have inside info about this and the guy who posted the thread, He was not trying to piss anyone off and maybe did not know about the proper way to handle the fish. now he does and it is all good. Let it go.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby RA40 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:43 pm

I have been tagging fish for the ministry since 1999, we have tagged 42,000 sturgeon and have not had one recorded injury from holding them out of the water. On larger fish it is wise to evenly craddle the fish just in or above water level for quick pic, but you bettet check your regs before you listen to me.
RA40
Beer Boy

Return to Jet Boat Photo and Video Gallery