Sponsor Directory

rockproof boat

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

rockproof boat

Postby Hackem » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Im on the East Coast and considering a Rockproof River Rocket. Does anyone know about these boats? Any advice would be appreciated. Im going to get the UHMW bottom if i do decide. I can pick up a pretty nice one for around 33k. The River here is very rocky and shallow in parts. I'm up for other boat suggestions as well. I wish i lived out west where the real rivers are. lol.
Hackem
Deck Swab

Re: rockproof boat

Postby RiverJetMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:46 am

Hackem wrote:Im on the East Coast and considering a Rockproof River Rocket. Does anyone know about these boats? Any advice would be appreciated. Im going to get the UHMW bottom if i do decide. I can pick up a pretty nice one for around 33k. The River here is very rocky and shallow in parts. I'm up for other boat suggestions as well. I wish i lived out west where the real rivers are. lol.

Well that's definitely a smart investment considering the chances of you one day crashing your boat into some rocks is very likely considering what you've told us. What part of the east coast are you located in right now?
RiverJetMan
Deck Swab

Postby Hackem » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:07 am

I just dont know much about these boats. Is it the best choice etc...? These are all a pricey investment and you want to make the right choice. I'm in NY by the Delaware river.
Hackem
Deck Swab

Postby broncobran68 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:38 am

They may be fine boats, but if I were to buy a $30k+ creek boat, it would have a sport jet or other small inboard. An inboard will float flatter and the pump is better protected. Plus 1/3 of your power and gas is wasted. I'd spend a lot of time looking at little canadian boats like firefish or exact before spending that kind of money. Or buy a beater outboard sled out west for less than a third of that.
2001 21' Phantom Canyon Runner 350/212
broncobran68
Master Baiter

Postby husky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Never heard of those boats so I looked them up. They look like very serviceable fishing boats. From what I can see of their construction, they certainly do not appear to be any more rockproof than any other average jetboat...just marketing hype. You are going to want a heavier bottom with lots of structure (structure being the internal reinforcement of the bottom) if you are planning on routinely hitting rocks. 1/4minimum, with a 3/8 keel/centre/delta. On a boat with a 6' bottom a minimum of 7 stringers. UHMW is good for sliding, but isn't going to save you from dents.
husky
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Hoss 350 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:07 pm

That rockproof boat doesn't look like it's worth $33 K unless it has a lot of options and features hidden somewhere.

Look into fire fish and exact boats. Also, look at weldcraft and wooldridge, they both make sleds like that that are pretty nice. As for being "rockproof" I didn't see antyhing on their website that would lead me to believe that they ahve some sort of proprietary system to make their boats any tougher than any other super-shallow designed boat like firefish, etc.

Look into UHMW bottom - it is a high impact plastic that goes over the aluminum to give your boat impact protection. Do a little more looking around, i guess is my advice. I would guess that you could find similar boats for a lot less money.
Hoss 350
Captain

Postby Hackem » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still looking. The Rockproof does come with a sportjet and .190 bottom. He will customize it how i want it and the price climbs accordingly. Keep sending me ideas on boats as I want to do my homework before I buy it. Thanks again
Hackem
Deck Swab

Postby Hackem » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm

1/2" uhmw on entire bottom is optional
Hackem
Deck Swab

Postby Thunderjet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:23 pm

What will you be using the boat for? How much do you plan on carrying? How far will you be traveling?
We will strip mine earth then get the other planets later. Afterall if it can not be grown it has to be mined.
Thunderjet
Boat Enthusiast

Postby frostop » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:32 pm

I've looked at these before and what I notice is they seem to set low in the bow for some reason!
I would think that you would be better served by one of the more well known builders here in the Northwest, they just seem to have all the kinks worked out for the most part!
What your going to use it for does play a major role, I personally need a boat to take the wife out in and than another one that I USE! :Noteeth:
1999 TJ Maxim 23'
"Its all about the Battle"
frostop
Beer Boy

Postby viking » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:54 pm

"Rockproof" is certainly an interesting name. Similarly, my girlfriend's initials are BJ. Doesn't necessarily mean anything though.
viking
Captain

Postby Hackem » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:51 pm

THE BOAT WILL BE PRIMARILY USED FOR FISHING AND EXPLORING THE RIVER, CAMPING ETC. I LIKE THAT HE CAN BUILD IT EXACTLY HOW I WANT IT. HE GLUES AND SCREWS HIS UHMW BOTTOMS ALSO. IM GOING TO MEET WITH ROCKPROOF AT THE END OF AUGUST TO THROW AROUND SOME IDEAS. I WOULD LIKE AN ENCLOSURE OF SOME SORT AND THE CONSOLE FORWARD. I HAVE TO SEE WHERE HIS PRICE GOES. IT SEEMS THEIRS NO ONE PERFECT BOAT FOR EVERYTHING.
Hackem
Deck Swab

Postby MTRiverRunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 pm

viking wrote:"Rockproof" is certainly an interesting name. Similarly, my girlfriend's initials are BJ. Doesn't necessarily mean anything though.

:Laugh1: bummer
24 ft HCM, LSA/212
17 ft Wooldridge AK 150 Opti Pro XS
MTRiverRunner
Captain

Postby MTRiverRunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Those Rockproof boats look plenty serviceable. They definitively don't appear to be extra tough compared to other jet boats out there though. I can understand wanting to buy a boat that is built near where you live but I would look at Wooldridge Boats if I were you. They will build it any way that you want and their Alaskans are super resilient when it comes to taking a hit. I disagree with some of the other posts regarding the outboard. I own both and inboard and outboard jet and I much prefer the outboard for shallow water. It is really nice to be able to just tilt the motor up and clean it out when you get it clogged up. It is also super handy to tilt the motor up when pulling into very shallow areas. You might not be able to go quite as fast as a Sport Jet but you will have a lot more room in the boat and you wont have to swim when you suck up a bunch of rocks and debris.

If you want the toughest boat out there you might want to look into the Firefish boats but you are going to spend about double what you had planned for the Rockproof.

Good luck
24 ft HCM, LSA/212
MTRiverRunner
Captain

Postby Hackem » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks MtnRiverRunner. those Alaskans do look sweet , i think they might be quite a bit more expensive. i will give them a call. I'm going to order whichever boat i choose in January to have it ready for next spring. Right now i have a beater jet but want something nice & new. Interesting what you said with the outboard. But don't you lose a little responsiveness? The rockproof has a tunnel jet, it sits up a ways. I'm pretty new to all the bad ass jet boats but I'm learning....lol. i think the sport jet is the way to go. heard pretty good things so far. what do you think? When you say the Rockproof don't appear to be as tough what do you mean? They have .190 bottom with 1/2" uhmw glued and screwed. Just asking and gaining some insight. Thanks
Hackem
Deck Swab

Postby MTRiverRunner » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:21 am

Hackem wrote:Thanks MtnRiverRunner. those Alaskans do look sweet , i think they might be quite a bit more expensive. i will give them a call. I'm going to order whichever boat i choose in January to have it ready for next spring. Right now i have a beater jet but want something nice & new. Interesting what you said with the outboard. But don't you lose a little responsiveness? The rockproof has a tunnel jet, it sits up a ways. I'm pretty new to all the bad ass jet boats but I'm learning....lol. i think the sport jet is the way to go. heard pretty good things so far. what do you think? When you say the Rockproof don't appear to be as tough what do you mean? They have .190 bottom with 1/2" uhmw glued and screwed. Just asking and gaining some insight. Thanks

A Wooldridge Alaskan should be in the same price range. An outboard boat handles pretty good if you have the steering set up right. I am sure that the Rockproof boats will do just as good as any other boat in that category it is just that A .190 inch bottom isnt exceptionally thick. I dont think that bottom thickness is all it is cracked up to be though. boat design and weight can be just as important. I have seen Alaskans take some amazing hits and because they are so light, they just bounce off and keep going without suffering much damage. I know that it might be hard to do in your location but You need to drive all the boats that you are interested in and make your decision from how they handle.
24 ft HCM, LSA/212
MTRiverRunner
Captain

Postby RivrLivn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 am

Hackem,
It appears from their website that Wooldridge has a dealer in PA. Isn't that where Rockproof is located?

I think it would be worth a test drive if they have one there. I think the Alaskan has a tunnel as well.
RivrLivn
Deck Swab

Postby Hackem » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Rockproof is in PA as well as a Wooldridge dealer. I did have a chance today to call Wooldridge and Spoke to Danny. Awesome guy we spoke for about an hour. I was surprised at their prices and was glad to know I have options. Was checking out their stuff and it looks like they make a really nice boat. Decisions, Decisions.... I wish Wooldridge had the uhmw option available. I'm sure their boat is fine without it
Hackem
Deck Swab

Postby NTjetboater » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Here is a 'rockproof boat'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmwbj5xmAHo

great driving!
If you aint hittin bottom you aint jetboatin !

http://www.youtube.com/user/ntjetboater
NTjetboater
Buoy Boy

Postby Hackem » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:05 pm

I saw that video........ It's sick! Looks like a lot of fun tho
Hackem
Deck Swab

Next

Return to River Jet Boating Board