Sponsor Directory

Ecotec 2.4l LE5 Supercharged Inboard 2272 MV Scott 752

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

Ecotec 2.4l LE5 Supercharged Inboard 2272 MV Scott 752

Postby AKLiving » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:02 pm

This was inspired by many posts on this forum as well as other sites where you find the ecotecs being used. A special thanks most recently to AlexC and his build, c-bolt, Destroyer and others that I'm missing right now but will recognize when I remember.
I've read through countless builds, how-to's and other forum posts to learn a lot with more to learn. I felt I needed to contribute and hopefully this will help someone else.

The project:

SeaArk OB jet conversion to inboard jet.
After my last hunting trip I hit the absolute limit to my current setup. I have a 2272 MV SeaArk with a 115/80hp outboard jet. We had 2 guys, gear for a week of hunting/camping, and about 750lbs of moose onboard. I had to redistribute weight several times and still barely got on step. Max speed was about 20mph up river. Overall I go 1.9mpg and barely made it home with 5 gallons to spare with an hour of initial downriver on my 9.9 kicker. Thats worse than many V8 inboard setups.

So.... I'm embarking on an estimated 2-3 year build depending on time and funds to complete. Right now I'm done working on it until spring break up.

Parts for the conversion (bold I still need):
It's not an exhaustive list since there are other posts for that.

Scott 752 jet, 19-19 impellers, 110 and 114mm nozzles, hydraulic trim, hydraulic reverse
Donor LE5 from 2007 Pontiac G6, ~56,000mi
M62 Supercharger
LSJ throttle body
Supercharger pulleys/tensioner
Fuel pump - Hayg
Heat Exchanger - homebuilt 3/4" in 1-1/2" copper pipe (aka 20mm in 40mm)
Wideband - AEM 30-3033
Wire harness - stand alone from CBM, AFI, or dyi
Driveline - Spicer 1310 or 1350 close couple, middle slip
Fuel Regulator
Marine exhaust - jetboatbase.com
Fuel Injectors - Bosch 42# split cone spray

I will need some help tuning and plan on getting HPT and learning how to use it.

So, here are some photos documenting the original setup to where I am right now in the build.

IMG_2865.JPG
Original set up as I bought it
IMG_2865.JPG (137.35 KiB) Viewed 9842 times

IMG_2866.JPG
Original setup
IMG_2866.JPG (121.71 KiB) Viewed 9842 times

IMG_3711.JPG
Added a full windshield about 8ft back

PontiacG6enginebay.jpg
Donor motor. 2007 Pontiac G6 ~56,000mi

IMG_4082.JPG
Almost ready for cleaning. Maybe painting.

SuperchargerParts.jpg
Supercharger parts
SuperchargerParts.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 9842 times

IMG_4137.PNG
Mine on the way from great shop in Canada
Last edited by AKLiving on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
22' SeaArk - 2.4l LE5 Ecotec supercharged, Scott 752 jet pump
AKLiving
Deck Swab

Re: Ecotec 2.4l LE5 Supercharged Inboard 2272 MV Scott 752

Postby riverboater » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Is the 752 the one that outlaw had for sale? if so your American money got you a good deal on a new pump with all the goodies. My first boat many years ago was a shallow vee with a couple of angle irons on the bottom similar to what the bottom of yours looks like. I ended up cutting off the angle irons as they trapped air between them and funneled it back into the intake whenever I found anything that looked like choppy water.
riverboater
Captain

Postby AKLiving » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:48 pm

riverboater wrote:Is the 752 the one that outlaw had for sale? if so your American money got you a good deal on a new pump with all the goodies. My first boat many years ago was a shallow vee with a couple of angle irons on the bottom similar to what the bottom of yours looks like. I ended up cutting off the angle irons as they trapped air between them and funneled it back into the intake whenever I found anything that looked like choppy water.

Yes, that's the pump. I did get a great price but even more important is that I received outstanding customer service from Tyler at Outlaw Eagle in Red Deer County. The pump is on the way and I can't wait to see it. Too bad it'll be a while before it's installed.
AKLiving
Deck Swab

Postby AKLiving » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:05 pm

I was so excited about converting to an IB and getting a new powerplant/jet that I forgot to show what has been done so far since I first bought the boat.

Here is the original layout.
IMG_2815.JPG
original layout

IMG_2816.JPG
Open original setup

I decided to extend the bow platform which is filled with foam so no storage.
This would give me storage that is out of the way and give me a huge area for standing to hunt and fish. It's big enough that 2 of us can lay there on a sunny day and take a snooze.

IMG_3657.JPG
Rivet bow frame

IMG_3666.JPG
Extending the bow platform

IMG_3658.JPG
Semi-dry storage and huge hunting/fishing platform

I decided to add a full windshield console about 8' back. Enough room that I can take an ATV in the bow area if I want. So far it's been the perfect location for me. And now I'm not the only one to get protection from rain, sleet and even snow on our river runs. Thanks to a buddy that did the fabrication and amazing welding at Karold's shop.

IMG_3667.JPG
New full console

Originally I was going to find some matching paint but after priming with etching primer from HD it was almost a perfect match. It's holding up really well to some tough abuse. I cleaned it with vinegar before spray painting.

IMG_3710.JPG
Console painted

Windows are cheap 1/4" plexi that I cut myself. $400 less than a quote from the glass shop. Lots of wax to help protect it. I've polished plexi before so I'm not too worried about scratches.
Installing was a huge pain. I probably cut them a little too large so the fit was extremely tight. I don't ever want to do this again.

IMG_3699.JPG
window going in

Flooring was a bunch of the exercise mat you can get at any store. I think this came from Sam's club. It's holding up much better than I thought. It is extremely light and made the boat much more quiet. Gone is slipping on the aluminum when the temperatures drop and/or it is wet. After the last trip with days of solid rain it didn't seem to absorb any water.

IMG_3767.JPG
flooring

I plan on keeping a very shallow draft and an open layout.
After removing the rear bench and boxes for the new engine I will actually gain floor space and overall I should gain less than 50lbs from my current 115 Yamaha setup.

IMG_3747.JPG
shallow draft
AKLiving
Deck Swab

Postby odwil » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:21 pm

when you change from the outboard to the inboard it will change the handling and the weight capacity instead of 400 pounds hanging out the back it will be spread the weight over more of the hull and the boat will run skinner water with out as many worrys
odwil
Buoy Boy

Postby AKLiving » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:50 am

odwil wrote:when you change from the outboard to the inboard it will change the handling and the weight capacity instead of 400 pounds hanging out the back it will be spread the weight over more of the hull and the boat will run skinner water with out as many worrys

Yes, it will change handling. Hopefully for the better but I'm not expecting major differences that can't be accomplished with cargo redistribution . I'm sure low speed steer should be better just because of the volume of water pumped at low speed will be greater. Other inboards I've known seem that way anyway. Believe me I've weighed the pros and cons for a couple of years and I think it's just a matter of going with your preference. The only major difference I'm expecting is what comes with going to over 3x the horsepower which doing that in an outboard would have come at a weight penalty and cost several times as much as I'm spending.

Weight capacity shouldn't change. The hull will still only be able to displace the same amount. I'm no where near my boat rated capacity of 2,500 lbs but I plan on continuing to keep it light with the exception of hauling home a successful hunt. The ability of how much my jet can get on plane should be significant.

I've never been disappointed with my outboard as far as handling or how shallow it goes so I wouldn't have changed for that reason. As for how much more shallow I can go, it should be even better by 2.5". But that could be accomplished now by making a jet tunnel for my outboard.
AKLiving
Deck Swab

Postby tnairn » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:36 pm

Looks like a great project!
While you were at all the modifications did you and any hull strengthening? I'm not sure what you had before but with the little extra weight impacts will be causing more damage.
tnairn
Master Baiter

Postby AKLiving » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 pm

tnairn wrote:Looks like a great project!
While you were at all the modifications did you and any hull strengthening? I'm not sure what you had before but with the little extra weight impacts will be causing more damage.

I will strengthen the hull around where the pump with be but otherwise no change. The obstacles I come across are mostly trees, sand and gravel. I hit some submerged tree stumps pretty hard while loaded heavy lifting us almost out of the water and couldn't even find where I struck after I put it on the trailer. If I start feeling the need for more bottom protection I would go with UHMW on the bottom. Currently the bottom is 0.125" with 0.185" reinforced keel.
AKLiving
Deck Swab

Postby c-bolt » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:49 pm

Sweet deal man! Looking forward to the progress!
Sold: 19' River Wild, 6.0 VVT LS motor, 3 Stage (prior 2.2 Ecotec)

Message me if you want me to re-upload any of my photos directly to meanchicken. Screw you Photobucket!
c-bolt
Forum Enthusiast

Postby wannaplay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:10 pm

I love it when people get to tinkering...well done.
Good luck on your repower.... :Drink:
wannaplay
Beer Boy

Postby Bob L » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:14 am

I had the Sea Ark 2072 tunnel hull with a 140 Nissan/prop. Here are my concerns. The most I could get out of that hull with a hydrolic jack plate was 40-42 MPH trying 3 different props. It jumped on plane great but did not handle a chop worth a dam. I actually cracked stringers on hull pushing it to its limits on a choppy day. putting 240 HP on that hull will not get you much more speed. Will it handle the pay load, probably, but with trade offs. You stated the new set up will only add 50 more lbs. Are you sure of this number? If so, then it will be a success depending on how much money you are willing to throw at it. If its 2-300 more lbs you will draft 1-3 more inches at idle and hole shot will be worse getting on plane due to the draft. Mark your current draft line on the rear of the transom before you cut it up so you will know exactly what the additional weight/set up cost you in draft. Also cut 1-2 of those strakes off the bottom per side. You will injest air on that hull. If it were me I would install the intake 1-2 inches deeper to help out with cavitation. if the weight is close to equal, you will be pleased with the load carrying abilities but do not expect much more speed out of that hull.
Bob L
Buoy Boy

Postby AKLiving » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:37 pm

Bob L wrote:I had the Sea Ark 2072 tunnel hull with a 140 Nissan/prop. Here are my concerns. The most I could get out of that hull with a hydrolic jack plate was 40-42 MPH trying 3 different props. It jumped on plane great but did not handle a chop worth a dam. I actually cracked stringers on hull pushing it to its limits on a choppy day. putting 240 HP on that hull will not get you much more speed. Will it handle the pay load, probably, but with trade offs. You stated the new set up will only add 50 more lbs. Are you sure of this number? If so, then it will be a success depending on how much money you are willing to throw at it. If its 2-300 more lbs you will draft 1-3 more inches at idle and hole shot will be worse getting on plane due to the draft. Mark your current draft line on the rear of the transom before you cut it up so you will know exactly what the additional weight/set up cost you in draft. Also cut 1-2 of those strakes off the bottom per side. You will injest air on that hull. If it were me I would install the intake 1-2 inches deeper to help out with cavitation. if the weight is close to equal, you will be pleased with the load carrying abilities but do not expect much more speed out of that hull.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.
I'm not looking for 40mph because I agree with you, I would get beat up with any chop. Thankfully I don't encounter much chop even in wind where I spend the majority of my time boating. And no whitewater. As far as weight is concerned, the ecotec wet full running weight is almost identical to my Yamaha, the pump is a little over 100lbs, I'm removing a lot out of the back, and I plan on moving the gas tank from back to front or mid though I'll wait until I see how it handles before deciding. Almost the entire weight will be moving in front of instead of behind the transom. Right now my gas tank is a poly drum so I can move it around until I decide where I want a permanent tank (if I don't just stick with the poly drum).
AKLiving
Deck Swab

Postby AKLiving » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Look what arrived today.
I love winter but waiting until spring breakup is going to be painful.

IMG_4213.JPG

Thank you Tyler Myers at Outlaw Eagle for getting me set up with an awesome pump.

IMG_4226.JPG

At least I can pass time this winter while still being on the lakes and rivers.

FullSizeRender.jpg
AKLiving
Deck Swab

Postby c-bolt » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:24 pm

man, that sure looks good. I think you're going to love it.

Message me if you want me to re-upload any of my photos directly to meanchicken. Screw you Photobucket!
c-bolt
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Georgia jetter » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Good build. I just sold a 2072 MTV that I had a 200
Mercury with the power pump. Jumped on plane and would run about 39-40. I had really looked at it for a inboard conversion with a 210 sport jet I have. Was told that pump would not like the 3 deg deadrise ! Is the reg pump like yours better about that stuff? I thought about
Running a 1/4" plate about 36" in the center of the bottom about 16' up. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out
Georgia jetter
Deck Swab

Postby Bob L » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:33 am

Georgia Jetter, Is your boat called "Roll Tide?"
Bob L
Buoy Boy

Postby AKLiving » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:42 am

Georgia jetter wrote:Good build. I just sold a 2072 MTV that I had a 200
Mercury with the power pump. Jumped on plane and would run about 39-40. I had really looked at it for a inboard conversion with a 210 sport jet I have. Was told that pump would not like the 3 deg deadrise ! Is the reg pump like yours better about that stuff? I thought about
Running a 1/4" plate about 36" in the center of the bottom about 16' up. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

There have been custom and mfg made 3 degree hulls with inboard jets. Mostly seen on the eastern half of US. I think I remember seeing a couple of ones with sportjets in them. I've even seen some flat bottoms with inboard jets. The most common complaint in the shallow V's is the expected poor handling in turns, especially at high speed. I'm use to that.
I'm not sure if the sportjet is not as good in this application or not. One difference is that the Scott 752 is a 2 stage pump so should be less prone to cavitation should it ingest air. I considered a sportjet as an option. I'm having way more fun with the options I have available in my combo.

The shop I'm using has made quite a few inboard conversions and is talking to me about putting in a tunnel which he has also done a fair amount of.

What I need to find out, and it is probably as easy as calling SDM in NZ, is how much water do I need in the pump at rest for it to load well starting off.
If anyone has advice on minimal amount of water in the jet at startup please chime in. I am a little concerned about raising the pump in a tunnel just because I draft so little now and with moving the main motor mass 3' forward and not gaining much weight I would think I'll draft the same if not less than now. I'll get firm measurement of my current draft in the spring. If you see my side pictures of where I was stuck on a sand bar I only needed about an inch before I floated again and you can see that line in the middle of the side (I can't remember the term) which is 10" up from the chine.
AKLiving
Deck Swab

Postby c-bolt » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:01 pm

I think you're going to be fine with the right impellers. My boat drafted about 10" of water before with the ecotec. You will likely be close, probably a bit less.

c-bolt
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Freezedried » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:08 am

Any updates on your retrofit, looks interesting. I have thought about using a turbo L61 or converting it to a super charger for something similar. I would like to check it our some time as I am in Fairbanks also.
Freezedried
Deck Swab

Postby AKLiving » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:43 am

Nothing new. Just going outside is not a pleasant thought this week. I won't be working on anything until spring when everything thaws out.

I miss having a heated garage!!
Attachments
IMG_4307.PNG
AKLiving
Deck Swab

Next

Return to Projects