Sponsor Directory

My 16' Custom Excursion

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

My 16' Custom Excursion

Postby Badger » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:55 am

Well I have started to work on my custom excursion hull. The base hull was provided by Exact Welding. There were a few options for upgrading that were done with this hull. Stringers run to nothing in the bow, extra stringer, 1/4" for the full bottom, and 3/16' for the transom. This boat is beefy in the construction of the bottom. I have purchased a 2 stage FloPro (also from Exact welding) and am planning on running a VQ35HR from a nissan 350Z. I am having this engine wired up by a company in the states, and having a company build exhaust manifolds for it in New Zealand. I chose the VQ35HR because it has 310HP and 270ft/LB of torque, Very similar to many marine 350 V8 engines, but has a flatter torque curve, consumes less fuel, has a 7500RPM red line, and weighs half as much.

VQ35HR

Exhaust manifolds

FloPro 2 Stage

Boat the day it arrived

Beefed up structure

Transom View

Marking out for intake mounting block

Intake block welded in top side

Flipping

Intake block welded in Bottom side

Tig work

Planing strakes and chine guards

This is as far as we got. A friend of mine is helping me with the welding and fabricating as I have no experience in those fields. I will be doing most of the mechanical and wieing work on the boat. When I get home from work, we will finish the welds on the bottom, install the UHMW (full bottom), flip the boat, and I will put the jet in....... :Power:
Badger
Beer Boy

Re: My 16' Custom Excursion

Postby chariotdriver » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Nice work.............keep the pics coming.
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby cbsneed4speed » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Sounds like it will be little ripper with that pump and motor combo... :Drink:
2019 Custom Weld 24' Whitewater Bush RAPTOR 575 Scott 912
cbsneed4speed
Master Baiter

Postby Badger » Tue May 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks for the comments. Progress will be slow as I work month in month out in Africa.

Can anybody chime in on the pros/cons of using a close coupling unit over a spicer 1310 drive shaft? I am still not sure but I might like to have the extra couple of inches of deck space. This boat will be a high deck as I feel even with smaller boats it is an advantage. My fuel tanks will be going infront of the high deck to be used as a step/seat.

Thanks

B
Badger
Beer Boy

Postby chariotdriver » Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Basically the only thing a close-coupling gets you is space. Since you are using a high deck; you will just aget a slightly bigger high deck. Everything else concerning pump coupling to the engine goes in favor of the drive shaft. Engine weight forward helps with CG, maintenance, cleanout (hami pumps anyway), etc.
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby SolarPanel » Wed May 02, 2012 6:19 am

Looking good!! Should be a fun boat.. :Drink:
96 21ft Jetcraft, 6.0/212

77 Wooldridge, 350/3 stage hami (hers)
SolarPanel
Master Baiter

Postby danner21 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:03 am

Who is doing your wiring and what do you think your total cost for the power plant will be.
Thanks
danner21
Deck Swab

Postby Badger » Sat May 12, 2012 10:14 pm

danner21 wrote:Who is doing your wiring and what do you think your total cost for the power plant will be.
Thanks

The cost is $5550 plus tax for the engine with drive by wire throttle. I will still need to purchace air filters. I have purchaced the marine manifolds $1700 including shipping from New Zealand. I am building my own "kiwi" style heat exchanger, but copper is not cheap so that was another $250. I still hve to make my own engine mounts, and buy my drive shaft ($175) so all told it will be $7700 into the motor and I will have to fabricate the engine mounts and also fabricate soome sort of linkage between the drive by wire actuator and my throttle controler. I am doing this a it is something different. I wanted a strong naturally asperated motor that did not weigh a tonne. This thing should be in the 385LB to 400LB range. I am building a non sportjet boat for skinny water. I will find a way to weigh it before it is installed so people can have a total wet weight with manifolds, and all acc excluding the heat exchanger.

There are lots of good engine/Jet combo's out there that are being researched by people and put into boats. Claude at Exact is doing a 2.0L SC Ecotec/2 Stage FloPro that I am hoping to see on the water soon to find out how it performs.

I am not sure about the forum rules, and have seen some people get upset about openly posting business names that are not sponsers of the forum, so PM me if you are really interested.

Badger

Also for anyone who is interested here is a link to the hull fabricating photo's for this boat.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=7976&p=86322#p86322
Badger
Beer Boy

Postby ovrkll » Tue May 29, 2012 9:53 pm

Hey Badger,

Awesome project, would like to build something very similar, possibly a 15 ft. If you don't mind my asking what does a
guy have to pay for a hull in the state yours came in?
ovrkll
Deck Swab

Postby Badger » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Been busy, but have now finished the full UHMW bottom with the help of a friend.
Attachments
layout.jpg
Layout.
sidedetail.jpg
Side and strake detail.
strakedetail2.jpg
Stern and strake detail.
bottomdone.jpg
Full UHMW bottom.
Badger
Beer Boy

Postby ninjamaster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:52 am

That looks awesome, what thickness is the UHMW? Im new to this site, Im in Minnesota and love exploring the rivers, they have a lot of rocks, so Im exploring to find the best boat, a 16ft might be perfect, cant wait to see how your turns out!
ninjamaster
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Badger » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:47 pm

ninjamaster....The UHMW is 1/2" thick, attached with around 500 5/16" socket cap screws, drilled, countersunk, and tapped with a washer and nylock nut on the inside of the hull. It was about 20hrs work for 2 people. I made a couple of mistakes that cased us some time, one was the layout of the plastic. We used a total of 7 pieces, when it could have been done in 5. All of the seams are tight, there are a couple of small gaps but nothing that will take away from the performance. :Drink:
Badger
Beer Boy

Postby ninjamaster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 am

whee did you order the UHMW?
ninjamaster
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Badger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:27 am

I got it from a local shop (Redwood Plastics) here in Prince George. I think your best bet would be to do an internet search for industrial plastics in your area. Then make a few calls.

B. :Drink:
Badger
Beer Boy

Postby ninjamaster » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Im gonna be ordering black Virgin UHMW 1/2 inch, maybe this week, Im waiting on a salesman to call me with a quote.

Are you worried about leaks from drilling holes in the boat, does the holes compromise the strength of the boat? Could you please post some close up pictures of the bolts inside and outside?

Does the grate sit flush with the UHMW on the bottom side, or is it flush with the boat?

thanks, your post is most helpful!
ninjamaster
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Badger » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:30 am

ninjamaster wrote:Im gonna be ordering black Virgin UHMW 1/2 inch, maybe this week, Im waiting on a salesman to call me with a quote.

Are you worried about leaks from drilling holes in the boat, does the holes compromise the strength of the boat? Could you please post some close up pictures of the bolts inside and outside?

Does the grate sit flush with the UHMW on the bottom side, or is it flush with the boat?

thanks, your post is most helpful!

The strength compromise of any holes drilled will be made up for by the added strength and protection the UHMW provides.

There is a piece of 3/8" steel plate installed around the intake. This helps to stiffen up the intake area. the intake grate will be set into the intake area, and almost flush with the hull, not the UHMW.

I am currently overseas, but when I get home I will take pictures, with the jet installed, as well as the intake grate. Provided I get that far ;) .

The exhaust manifolds have arrived and i am hoping I can start laying out mounts for the engine as well as figuring out exactly where my high deck is going to sit.

Badger
Badger
Beer Boy

Postby ovrkll » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Hey Badger,

How's things coming along? Haven't had any updates lately. Any new pics?
ovrkll
Deck Swab

Postby Badger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:51 pm

I work overseas, so I have not had much time to work on anything in a while. Also last time I was home was busy......sheep hunting. Shot a nice Stone sheep. I am planning on getting the jet installed, and working on anything else I can get sorted while waiting on the engine..............Swim grid maybe??

B
Badger
Beer Boy

Postby Badger » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Finally installed the jet. Was a fairly simple task, but awkward with only one person. Nice to get something done.
Attachments
Jet installed 2.jpg
Jet installed.jpg
Install complete
Jet in place.jpg
Jet in place with holes drilled for seal.
Opening after cut 2.jpg
Opening after cut.
Marking out for drive.jpg
Marking out for jet cut out.
Badger
Beer Boy

Postby Badger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Well it has been a very non productive winter. I will be home from overseas shortly and hope to have the engine in hand. It is all wired up, but seems to be having difficulty at the border. Go figure......... bomb_12)

[ Play Quicktime file ] VQ35HRBrett Seiler.MOV [ 2.98 MiB | Viewed 22992 times ]

Badger
Beer Boy

Next

Return to Projects