Sponsor Directory

Sport jet in Alaska?

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

Sport jet in Alaska?

Postby Yentna_WWS_LS3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:25 pm

I’m just wondering why people keep buying these engines? Or a boat with an optimax in them? I live in Alaska born and raised here. I think there is a lot of people confused up here and they keep buying like SJXs and Phantons for no good reason at all. I’m just wondering if anybody can explain this nonsense that I’ve been experiencing through the years.
Yentna_WWS_LS3
Deck Swab

Re: Sport jet in Alaska?

Postby Mjinpa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Power to weight ratio. Shallow water ability. Inboard pump efficiency. Can haul a pretty good load. Pretty much on step in a boat length. Decent fuel consumption if you aren't constantly hammering on it. Only negative as far as I'm concerned is you lose some floor space compared to an outboard.
Mjinpa
Deck Swab

Postby Music Man » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:03 pm

and loose your hearing :Drink: :Drink:
2008 24' HCM 8.1L "River Dog"
Music Man
Novice Baiter

Postby Mjinpa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:43 pm

With the top up mine is a bit noisy. Top down it's not bad at all.
Mjinpa
Deck Swab

Postby Susitna907 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Yentna_WWS_LS3 wrote: I’m just wondering if anybody can explain this nonsense that I’ve been experiencing through the years.

It's about as close as one can get with having a lighter weight boat with reputable power (190 +/- at the nozzle) and haul some sort of a decent load and yet have shallow water capabilities as an outboard jet.
There's obvious pluses and minuses that come along with boats like these, but those who have them, typically love them for what they do for their particular applications.
And noise has always been one of the minuses....
Susitna907
Deck Swab

Postby Riverjohn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Yentna_WWS_LS3 wrote:I’m just wondering why people keep buying these engines? Or a boat with an optimax in them? I live in Alaska born and raised here. I think there is a lot of people confused up here and they keep buying like SJXs and Phantons for no good reason at all. I’m just wondering if anybody can explain this nonsense that I’ve been experiencing through the years.

Why don't you tell us why you are so dead set against them? Are you referring to inboard jets only? What would you use in their place?
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby waylon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:15 pm

sounds like your some kind of expert on your first post. :Drink:
"Only God knows why" Image
waylon
Master Baiter

Postby d4570 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:52 am

I understand Mercury is doing away with the optimax do to pollution requirements.
I just saw a Hewescraft sportjet with a Rotex 3 cylinder supercharged motor 140 hp. about the same weight and half the size.
Talk about a win,win
:Drink:
d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby Yentna_WWS_LS3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 am

They seem to be very unreliable for people that put serious hours on their boats. The inboard jet unit has reverse cup issues as well. I’ve known quite a few people that had many issues with them. I see them getting towed down the river a few times a summer. Possibly just because they are so common. A Two stroke high pressure direct inject outboard designed powerhead converted into an inboard just doest seem like it would be the most reliable. Wouldn’t a v8 GM engine be more reliable?
Yentna_WWS_LS3
Deck Swab

Postby Riverjohn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 am

Yentna_WWS_LS3 wrote:They seem to be very unreliable for people that put serious hours on their boats. The inboard jet unit has reverse cup issues as well. I’ve known quite a few people that had many issues with them. I see them getting towed down the river a few times a summer. Possibly just because they are so common. A Two stroke high pressure direct inject outboard designed powerhead converted into an inboard just doest seem like it would be the most reliable. Wouldn’t a v8 GM engine be more reliable?

This must be why you bought a WWS with an LS3? Strange first 2 posts. Which pump did you go with? Maybe you can tell us why you choose it over the others?
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby bigcat_ak » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 pm

You maybe should take note that this site does not take well to negativity. Just a word to the wise. diablo_134)
bigcat_ak
Buoy Boy

Postby husky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 am

Yentna_WWS_LS3 wrote:They seem to be very unreliable for people that put serious hours on their boats. The inboard jet unit has reverse cup issues as well. I’ve known quite a few people that had many issues with them. I see them getting towed down the river a few times a summer. Possibly just because they are so common. A Two stroke high pressure direct inject outboard designed powerhead converted into an inboard just doest seem like it would be the most reliable. Wouldn’t a v8 GM engine be more reliable?

Sport jets are plenty reliable. Other than the fuel lift pump failures which are well known and easily addressed by carrying a spare there are no consistent mechanical problems. I don't think they break down any more often than any other engine.

A gm v8 at 3x the weight is not a viable replacement for many of the small boats you find a sj in.

Somehow I don't think you're here to listen to reason though.
husky
Novice Baiter

Postby Akclassic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:02 am

Well why do some people buy ford 6.0l's when they are known to have problems? Because they can and its their money. I'm not a fan of the sport jet but they have their place, if i couldn't have a v8 id have a sport jet and id be happy with it. And a v8 is not 3x the weight...
Akclassic
Deck Swab

Postby Yentna_WWS_LS3 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:21 am

Oh come on I’m not trying to piss everyone off. I just see a lot of people spent 60K or more on some SJX or Phantom with a sport jet and I wonder why people wouldn’t spend the same money or maybe a little more on a weldcraft, customweld, or Thunderjet.....And a high pressure direct inject 2 stoke engine is not more reliable than a 4 stoke GM engine. I know people with over 3000 hours on their 8.1s and 454s. Excluding lemons they exist for sure. And my new boat has a 6.2 LS3 matched to a hami 212 with 3.4kw turbo impeller. Last year was a little slow for me and I only got to put just over 100 hours on it. So it’s still unproven. And opinions are like assholes everyone has them. Don’t get all pissy if we have different opinions. I’m a huge fan of center council stick steer in a Idaho style jet boat. I don’t think there is a better all around boat for Alaska. I just don’t see why people would spend so much money on an inboard Jon boat over an RMX 19 with a 350 and 212. Just an example.....
Yentna_WWS_LS3
Deck Swab

Postby Riverjohn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:33 am

Yentna_WWS_LS3 wrote:Oh come on I’m not trying to piss everyone off. I just see a lot of people spent 60K or more on some SJX or Phantom with a sport jet and I wonder why people wouldn’t spend the same money or maybe a little more on a weldcraft, customweld, or Thunderjet.....And a high pressure direct inject 2 stoke engine is not more reliable than a 4 stoke GM engine. I know people with over 3000 hours on their 8.1s and 454s. Excluding lemons they exist for sure. And my new boat has a 6.2 LS3 matched to a hami 212 with 3.4kw turbo impeller. Last year was a little slow for me and I only got to put just over 100 hours on it. So it’s still unproven. And opinions are like assholes everyone has them. Don’t get all pissy if we have different opinions. I’m a huge fan of center council stick steer in a Idaho style jet boat. I don’t think there is a better all around boat for Alaska. I just don’t see why people would spend so much money on an inboard Jon boat over an RMX 19 with a 350 and 212. Just an example.....
Congratulations :Drink: :Drink: This is what your first post should have been without the Pissy part. I happen to agree with you. I would never have an out board or any derivative there of. I believe them to be unreliable and very expensive to fix.
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Akclassic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Yentna_WWS_LS3 wrote:Oh come on I’m not trying to piss everyone off. I just see a lot of people spent 60K or more on some SJX or Phantom with a sport jet and I wonder why people wouldn’t spend the same money or maybe a little more on a weldcraft, customweld, or Thunderjet.....And a high pressure direct inject 2 stoke engine is not more reliable than a 4 stoke GM engine. I know people with over 3000 hours on their 8.1s and 454s. Excluding lemons they exist for sure. And my new boat has a 6.2 LS3 matched to a hami 212 with 3.4kw turbo impeller. Last year was a little slow for me and I only got to put just over 100 hours on it. So it’s still unproven. And opinions are like assholes everyone has them. Don’t get all pissy if we have different opinions. I’m a huge fan of center council stick steer in a Idaho style jet boat. I don’t think there is a better all around boat for Alaska. I just don’t see why people would spend so much money on an inboard Jon boat over an RMX 19 with a 350 and 212. Just an example.....

A little off topic: what boat you got? What kinda performance outta that combo?
Akclassic
Deck Swab

Postby husky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Akclassic wrote:Well why do some people buy ford 6.0l's when they are known to have problems? Because they can and its their money. I'm not a fan of the sport jet but they have their place, if i couldn't have a v8 id have a sport jet and id be happy with it. And a v8 is not 3x the weight...

Engine, pump, manifolds, heat exchanger etc, +/- 3x the weight... Yes. I'm not suggesting a sj is better than the V8L, but it's apples to oranges. You just can't put 900 lbs at the back of a short shallow water boat without some serious downside.
husky
Novice Baiter

Postby Yentna_WWS_LS3 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 pm

The new boat I love. I ran my Thunderjet for 4 years and really figured out what works and what doesn’t on that boat. I settled on a slightly used 2010 custom weld whitewater. It’s 21 feet long, 9 foot beam 7 foot bottom. I run a marine power “GM” LS3 port fuel injected 6.2. Matched with the Hamilton 212 3.4kw impeller. Under a normal load around 1200lbs i found the sweet spot in the throttle. That’s about 3500rpms. It runs just over 30 mph up stream and about 38-40 down. And burns 12GPH. With the boat being so wide I can really back off the throttle and go slow on step. I would never buy another jet boat without stick steering. It is truly amazing. This boat is a 21ft jet ski. WOT is 4200-4100 rpm.

Dry weight of these engines is without pump.

Kodiak marine LS3 6.2 weighs 657lbs
Sport jet weighs 367lbs.
At least that’s what I got from their web sites. They probably all lie. Keep in mind also that mine is an aluminum block. A iron block 350 or 6.0 weighs more.
Yentna_WWS_LS3
Deck Swab

Postby BigCSS » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:01 pm

The sportjet weighs 367 lbs including the pump. They have their place in a shallow water, smaller boat. There is no way I could go where I do with a v-8 in my Tomcat. That being said even with mufflers my 250 sportjet is extremely loud. There is no perfect boat or motor and that is why I have more than one boat, one 17’ w/sportjet, and a big water boat with a Hamilton pump.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Return to Mechanics