Sponsor Directory

K5 Polyurea, Phantom bottoms. How does this stuff hold up.

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

K5 Polyurea, Phantom bottoms. How does this stuff hold up.

Postby Blue Cuda » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:03 pm

Tried to get the question in the subject...
THe new phantoms have had this stuff sprayed on the bottom to help make them more slippery aswell as make them stronger.

I am looking for people that have owned these boats and have real world experiance with the stuff.

They are using Specialty products polyurea with additives that make it even harder than what anyone else is using.

So enough from the people profitting from the sale of the stuff I want to talk to people that have hit stuff, I want to know does it peel? scuff? How slippery is it?

THe sales guy said under pressure.... half as slick as UHMW so I would say about 25% as slick as UHMW... what does that really mean? Aluminum bottom you slide one boat length on wet gravel (thats all I got anyway) on YOutube they go 30 yards on dry rocks with full UHMW ( insane ) could I slide over 20 feet of wet gravel with the polyurea and have no issues? How often can I do this with out scraping the stuff off?

At this time Phantoms best protection is sprayed with Polyurea K5 then adding a center strip of UHMW. This UHMW strip is fiberglass impregnated then glued to the Polyurea under a vacuum. No holes in the hull at all. They swear the bonding to the polyurea is really really good. Better than to the aluminum.

There are NO pictures of the bottom of these boats after they hit shit??? why. Could someone post some photos of their two year old boat bottom??

I m looking for testimonials from those that have these boats. LIke them or hate them I want to know about the bottom coatings.

Is there anyone in Vancouver B.C. area with one of these boats?

AFK for three days to follow.
cheers.

It is $8500 for the most protection one can buy on a 20 foot boat. Spray polyurea and UHMW
Blue Cuda
Deck Swab

Re: K5 Polyurea, Phantom bottoms. How does this stuff hold u

Postby Kevin Turner » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:54 am

I am looking for people that have owned these boats and have real world experiance with the stuff
Disclosure: I've not personally tested K5 and I've only spoken with one K5 applied Phantom owner. However, I have invested many hours and $10K plus on several "super duper, mad scientist" versions of spray Polyurea. I'm sorry to say none of them offered the durability, lubricity, or bottom protection I felt would justify cost. On the other hand, glue on UHMW (Link-fiberglass backed) is good stuff and if applied correctly; nearly impossible to remove.
Plse forgive spelling & grammar errors. KT
Kevin Turner
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby Blue Cuda » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Hey thanks for the in put. With 125 plus reads there is obviously serious interest but not so much experience with the stuff.

THe thing that is the catch twenty two is that phantom admits the glue/fiberglass UHMW really sticks well to the K5 so to be absolutly sure you get good bonding on the UHMW one might as well put the K5 on. I have not yet sent pictures of my boat to get a quote each way but it is coming.

THanks for the interest.

There must be some phantom owners out there somewhere?

cheers.
Blue Cuda
Deck Swab

Postby Kevin Turner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:39 pm

THe thing that is the catch twenty two is that phantom admits the glue/fiberglass UHMW really sticks well to the K5 so to be absolutly sure you get good bonding on the UHMW one might as well put the K5 on.
Interesting. With the proper epoxy, fiberglass backed UHMW is next to impossible to remove. Thus if the hull is properly prepped, there shouldn't be a reason to epoxy the UHMW to the spray PE? If you do so, logic dictates you've got two release possibilities: The UHMW releases from the spray PE and the spray PE releases from the hull? Dunno...I'm sure there are a lot smarter guys than I that might offer an opinion.
I want to talk to people that have hit stuff, I want to know does it peel? scuff? How slippery is it?

Here's a couple pics, you can be your own judge.
Phantom K5 Hardkor A.jpg
Phantom K5 Hardkor C.jpg
Attachments
Phantom K5 Hardkor B.jpg
Plse forgive spelling & grammar errors. KT
Kevin Turner
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby Blue Cuda » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi thanks for taking the time.

ON the bonding. Yes there would be two release points. However "they" are confident that the K5 sticks to alum. better than the glassing UHMW process so by adding it under the UHMW it would be a stronger bond than just UHMW.

ON the pictures posted. Those are some nasty hits and scraps for sure.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. THe only issue is beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The K5 shows no wear or scuffing except the nasty hits.
The worsed hit shows it started about a foot or so from the stern and allowed the boat to slide until the deepest part of the boat got over the rock and then the psi was too high and it released from the alum. I would say that would have been a very nasty scar with out the K5. Here is the kicker. I WASN't there.
Maybe that boat gets the snot beat out of it and these few hits are all that shows or mabye the guy lauched it and it sat on a rock while he parked the trailer.

It is not a QT 100 steel that is for sure.

please continue ... there has to be more people out there with these boats.... they better not be on the river having fun while I am here.

OH and how slippery is it really???? :P
Blue Cuda
Deck Swab

Postby Blue Cuda » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:17 am

After two weeks and more than 600 reads between here and "the other sight" but only two replies and they really were not so possitive.
I really thought phantom sold more boats than that. Maybe I should have gone with an Alaskain web page. Oh well. Bottom line is with so many people reading and no one saying anything good I am not going there.
New topic and post to follow.... what about plug welding?? :Drink1:
Blue Cuda
Deck Swab

Postby AKYZ450F » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm also wondering on how it hold's up. But have yet to see it or the glue on UHMW in person.
AKYZ450F
Deck Swab

Postby renslip » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:58 pm

I put this on my boat in the spring. I run the Muskwa river in north east BC. When I am done for the season I will post some pics of the bottom of my boat. So far I am not disappointed in this product. I have skidded over many gravel bars, hit rocks and been high and dry. I have only notice 1 gouge that went right through to the aluminum. It was about 1" long and maybe 1/16" of an inch wide. So most likely hit a very sharp rock. I have found that it is not as slippery as Teflon. But it is still better then bare aluminum. I will update with pictures in a few weeks when I winterized my boat.
renslip
Deck Swab

Postby Blue Cuda » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am

:Drink: Hey cheers to a guy that bit the bullet and tried something new.
Renslip can you tell us where you got your K5 put on? It sure is not on every street corner.
I think I would have leaned that way but there are no applicators anywhere close, not at all.

I for one will be very eager to see your photos. :chicken:
Blue Cuda
Deck Swab

Postby renslip » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:40 pm

I had it put on by Wilderrness Marine in Stoney Plain Ab. I going to be under my boat tonight to do some pump work. I will get some pics and get them posted.
renslip
Deck Swab

Postby Kluane Airways » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:16 am

I am considering putting K5 on my boat. Where can one buy the product in smaller amounts, 5 - 10 gallons. Is there any other method of putting the product on other than this expensive gun. I have read that putting Wetlander on as a top coat makes the product far slipperier. Any thoughts you guys?
Kluane Airways
Deck Swab

Postby HotshotHarry » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:53 pm

I have K5 on my Thunderjet. Hit a few rocks and sandbars in the 2 seasons that I’ve had the boat. So far, I’m impressed with its durability and it looks good too.
HotshotHarry
Deck Swab

Postby Highcountrybulls » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:10 am

I have run 2 seasons since having about 1/4” of K5 and a topcoat of Wetlander applied to the hull of my Woolridge Alaskan XL. It is not the same as UHMW, but for certain applications it is a great choice and I’m extremely pleased with the performance of it. We run across a fair few bars and rocks up here and it has held up well.

If the prep work is done well you won’t be able to peel it off. I had the hull sandblasted prior to application and it stuck so well that cleaning up the burrs left at the edge was a chore. It is definitely a lot slicker than the bare aluminum and hull noise decreased substantially. My boat was sprayed overhead and ended up with a rougher texture resembling a bed liner. The texture caused cavitation so we sanded it smooth and resprayed another coat that came out much smoother, and the cavitation issue went away. I’d recommend flipping the boat to spray it to avoid this issue.

For thin, formed rib hulls like the Wooly Alaskan I believe KT is a superior option to UHMW. However my next boat (Riddle CargoJet) will have UHMW because it will be a smooth bottom surface.
Highcountrybulls
Deck Swab

Return to River Jet Boating Board