Sponsor Directory

Alberta Jet Boat History

Alberta Jet Boat History

Postby Gas burner » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:15 pm

Please anyone tell me your story about the history of jet boats in Alberta. From what I have heard is Albert played a huge part in jet boat history. Many great names to list a few.Fred Chrunyk ,Dorman Ditch,Brian Claments,Roger Kehoe,Stitch(Wayne Romans). Sorry if the names or spelling are not correct.Lets tell the Alberta story and post some pictures new and old.I have two classics one Western Jetcraft (Dorman Ditch)the other built by Mr Stitch himself.
Gas burner
Deck Swab

Re: Alberta Jet Boat History

Postby Admin1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:49 am

If anyone does have some of this history, please share it with us. I hope you would consider posting it in the history section so that everyone will see it and benefit for your knowledge . :-D
Admin1
Novice Baiter

Postby riverboater » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:15 pm

Courtmier, forgive the spelling if it is wrong, is another name from the late 60's and early 70's jet boat development in the peace river country of northern BC.
riverboater
Captain

Postby Gas burner » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Western Jetcraft.One of the early welded boats from Edmonton Alberta.It has the signature Ditch (Dorman Ditch)hump along the windshield.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Gas burner
Deck Swab

Postby Toddco » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:53 am

Nice ol rig! What vintage is that kicker? Also, what river is that pic taken on?
2012 22' Rogue Fastwater, 350 EFI Marine, Hamilton 212
Toddco
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Gas burner » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:30 pm

Kicker is a 1979 Evinrude 15. Repainted the cover and installed new 9.9 decals. North Saskatchewan River West of Devon.Any one else have a vintage Alberta boat?
Gas burner
Deck Swab

Postby Shaink » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:45 pm

I am running a 1976 Western Jetcraft that is named Mo which I was to understand had significant history in the region. I will try and load a picture. We run out of Devon so you have probably seen the boat. I can't say enough good things about it.
Shaink
Deck Swab

Postby Gas burner » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:52 pm

Yes please post some pictures. I would love to see it. I was told that they started as Western Jetcraft, Northwest Jet than Marathon Marine.I think all boats came with Berkeley pumps. What are the specs on your boat?
Gas burner
Deck Swab

Postby Shaink » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:04 pm

It is 18.5 ft boat with a Chev 350
We rebuilt the boat last year and I will try to post before and after pictures.
Shaink
Deck Swab

Postby Shaink » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Western Jetcraft before rebuild
Attachments
shane1.jpg
Shaink
Deck Swab

Postby Shaink » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:23 pm

During Rebuild
Attachments
shane6.jpg
Shaink
Deck Swab

Postby Shaink » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:28 pm

complete
Attachments
shane8.jpg
shane17.jpg
Shaink
Deck Swab

Postby captain picard » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:23 pm

Shaink, very nice job on your restoration, you have a beautiful boat but you MAY have been mis-informed as to its history. I'm not in a position to tell you what your boats history is, but what I can confirm with 100% certainty is that it is not "MOE".

Moe is the name of an individual boat, not a series of boats. Moe's hull was built by Stitch for a guy named Smitty. Smitty was in possession of this hull until Roger Kehoe purchased it from him. While in Roger's possession the boat found its name. One day Roger was asked which boat he was going to use for an outing. Unsure which boat to choose Roger pointed at each of his boats saying "Innie, Minnie, Miney" with his finger pointing at the boat now known as Moe.

Sometime later Roger and Explorer Industries collaborated on a boat style that could be frequently produced. They used some of Moe's lines and styling as influence to what is know as a "186". Roger also created a boat named "Black" with influence from Moe's lines. Sometime after Black was created Roger sold Moe back to its creator, Stitch. Stitch and family own Moe to this day.

Shaink, your boat has many attributes that are similar to Moe and hence the confusion.
captain picard
Deck Swab

Postby Gas burner » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Well captain you sure know your *hit. Any ideas on this one. Oh yeah it is on the road!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Gas burner
Deck Swab

Postby Gas burner » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:57 pm

You tell me what you think and I will tell you what I know.
Gas burner
Deck Swab

Postby captain picard » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:57 pm

I think its a beautiful boat. It looks well maintained. Is that boat in original condition or has it been restored?
captain picard
Deck Swab

Postby Gas burner » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:43 am

Boat is all orginal including the interior. Built buy Stitch and my dad in the early 80's. Boat started life as a twin and switched to a single. Boat sat for many years untouched. In 2014 with the help of Stitch the boat saw the water for the first time.All the interior is from the 1980's it is truly the newest 1980's jet boat to date! The quality of workmanship in the boat is unreal. It's all about the little things, how the noise is reinforced,the custom winch mount (warn 6000lb winch in the noise),the side supports that go from the gunnels to the chimes,the slop on the engine cover/ bed so it is level when the boat is pulled up on the shore. This just touches the surface. Stitch builds a unreal boat.
Gas burner
Deck Swab

Postby Gas burner » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:04 am

Interior
Attachments
image.jpeg
Gas burner
Deck Swab

Postby Shaink » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks so much for the history Capt. We bought the boat from Roger and he never gave me all the history. I was to understand that it was Moe but am open to advice. When it was rebuilt Roger gave us advice on the intake based on how he thought it could still be improved. He liked the way it turned out minus the tower for the running top. If you know the names of some of the boats then you would know Earl as well which is my fathers boat.
The 20 with the red brown interior looks very similar to another boat of a friend.
Seen a few different boats now and I can't say enough good things about what that group of guys were able to build and engineer.
Shaink
Deck Swab

Postby Gas burner » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:16 am

From this video it sounds like this is where it all started!Can anyone fill in the blanks.Who is this guy?https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zbZJAJ1zIJE
Gas burner
Deck Swab

Next

Return to Alberta