Sponsor Directory

below palisades

below palisades

Postby Snowman77 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Has anyone ran the south fork of the snake below the dam? I am from wyoming and have ran my boat mostly in lakes and never in this spot, but have been wanting to go fish it. when would be the best time to do just that? Any info would be great. thanks.....
Snowman77
Beer Boy

Re: below palisades

Postby RollerRider » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:49 pm

I ran it last Saturday, it is great. Riverdad has run it about 93 times just this year.
It is a kind and gentle river, just stay in the main channel (unless you are feeling adventurous and want to run some side channels). The water moves along pretty fast but there are no rapids and no big rocks lurking to spoil your day.
Don't suggest going down below Byington boat ramp, there are some diversions and channels can be deceiving. You could end up stuck on a gravel bar :oops:
2008 24' HCM Diesel
2007 20' HCM (wifes sport car)
RollerRider
First Mate

Postby Snowman77 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks for the great information! I am really looking forward to doing that run soon. Do you know about how many river miles that would be from the dam to the boat ramp you mentioned? It is nice to see another jet boater from wyoming. Have you ever done any fishing on that stretch of river you mentioned?
Snowman77
Beer Boy

Postby RollerRider » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:54 pm

I do happen to know that. It's approx. 42 miles from the dam to Byington.
Funny thing about that, I used to fish it a lot from a drift boat. Then I got a jet boat so I wouldn't have to shuttle and when it was time to be off the water I could just crank up and go home. Fished it some but found I liked to just drive my boat around, started going and exploring other rivers, now all I want to do is go find some whitewater to run. I hope someone has warned you of the dangers of getting involved in this. Fixing up your first boat, wishing for this and that on a custom boat, ordering a custom, waiting for it to be built. Driving the wheels off your truck to get to rivers. Of course you will then find you need a camper to go on the truck, pretty soon you may end up with a second boat to help fill in additional needs (or is it wants). Just thought I would bring this up before you get consumed. :Drink:
Where in Wyoming are you located?
2008 24' HCM Diesel
RollerRider
First Mate

Postby Snowman77 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks for the warning. Funny you should mention a slide in camper, we just sold our pull behind camper on monday night and now we are on the hunt for, you guessed it, a slide in camper! I live in the south west corner and have ran a bloodsworth with a 8.1L. Now we own a thunder jet that we mostly use on the lakes. I have been to idaho to do some sturgeon fishing with it and oh ya found a lava ridge that threw us into the windshield after coming to a complete stop! Damn kayaker got in the way so i picked the WRONG WAY. Oh well there is two types of jet boaters those who have hit rocks and those who will hit them.
Snowman77
Beer Boy

Postby RollerRider » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Glad to have another Wyoming jet boater. We are kind of rare, which probably makes us precious, right?
That's funny you already are camper shopping, good luck with that!!
I have heard that about two kinds of jet boaters, don't think it is true though. Any body around here not hit a rock? Or know anybody that hasn't hit a rock? :Noteeth:
2008 24' HCM Diesel
RollerRider
First Mate

Postby Snowman77 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:51 pm

No doubt we are a rare breed, especially in Wyoming! So when would be the best time to go on the south fork? I would like to go when the water is clear and running high if possible. When do you think the best time for fishing would be?
Snowman77
Beer Boy

Postby RollerRider » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:28 pm

Well, the Southfork is clear all the time, can get a lttle color down lower when some of the tributaries get rolling, but not much to worry about.
The flows will be up well into fall since the main function is irrigation and only one diversion between the dam and Byington, which takes a very small percentage.
Comfortable flows are anything above 5000cfs, currently flowing around 16,000. They have been taking it up slow and steady for the last several weeks in anticipation of all the runoff to come, so making some room in Palisades reservois.
The Southfork does have a Salmon fly hatch which comes off rather late, somewhere around the first part of July and lasting a couple of weeks. It just depends on the weather and temperatures. Water temps are colder due to water coming off the bottom of the reservoir and so the hatchs are later than wild water. As you may know it is a mecca for fly-fishers. Hatch of the day plus many use a dropper with a renegade or other ugly nymph.
The river used to be a blue ribbon for Browns and rainbows, then in an all out effort by the fishery gurus they decided it should be an exclusive habitat for the Snake River Cutthroat. The cuts and bows have been making little hybrids, and that has caused a lot of angst, so in all the wisdom they do a big flush later in the spring and crank the gates open to about 25000 for a few days to wash the hybrid nests out. Don't try to make sense of it, just reporting the facts :roll:
Rapalas and other lures can also produce well, especially in the upper end.
Hope this answers some of your questions. There are reports ongoing on some of the fishing guide shops in Jackson, a little googling should let you learn more than you may be able to stand. Course you may need an Orvis or Winston rod with all the accoutrements to look as cool as the rest of the clientel :Laugh1:
Sorry, coudn't help myself. :)
2008 24' HCM Diesel
RollerRider
First Mate

Postby Snowman77 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:03 pm

Hey thanks for all that great info! However there is no chance in hell i will have a fly rod in my hand. I will be spinner fishing and running the river enjoying the great views, and i am not talking about all the clients with orvis rods in there hand! Is there plenty of camping from the boat along that 42 mile stretch?
Snowman77
Beer Boy

Postby RollerRider » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Since it is pretty much all river bottom there are lots of camping places. Trees all along. They have designated spots layed out and require a reservation, I don't think except for the real busy season you would have a problem getting one. Or if you are camping on your boat there are quite of few little back channels to pull up in and I don't think any one would bother. They never have me.
2008 24' HCM Diesel
RollerRider
First Mate

Postby riverdad » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:15 am

I do understand this is a Wyoming page and the two of you from the entire state seem to be having a good time talking to each other. It is great Jess finally has another cowboy to boat with!!!

I don't mean to butt in... however at least one of you knows I am good ate that!! I am planning to be on the South Fork this Saturday. I have a grandpa easter egg hunt at 11:00 am at our house then near noon I ma heading for Byington. I was planning to run up river at least to Fall Creek to see the water fall. I could be talked into going a little further.

If either of you have an interest in meeting along the river or driving with us give me a shout.

Jeff we are looking forward to the first week of May. Even Marie is a little excited. She is not interested in Granite at 90,000! I promised we would not attempt it at that level :)
Best way to spend an afternoon is with Twins!
riverdad
Riverdad

Postby Snowman77 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Sorry riverdad, but i will be on call this weekend. Damn work always interfere's with fun! Maybe your offer will be good another weekend.
Snowman77
Beer Boy

Postby riverdad » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:46 pm

My offer is always good, it does not take much to get me on the river. Next time you have some free time give me a call. I am sure I can arrange a "future water damage inspection" trip!!! Who knows, I might even surprise RollerRider and take a fish rod along!!

Do you have to use it to make it count? My dad would be so disappointed in me!!
riverdad
Riverdad

Postby RollerRider » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Doug, I think your idea of a little boat trip on Saturday sounds like a fine idea. Plan on seeing us somewhere on the river. :)

You know it's really good to see the Wyoming board getting some traffic. Of course we welcome anyone to join in and post on our board, as long as you don't make fun of the way we talk, or walk or drive our boats or something some of you may consider unusual acts :Noteeth:
2008 24' HCM Diesel
RollerRider
First Mate

Postby riverdad » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:37 pm

You always make me laugh!
riverdad
Riverdad

Postby dingy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Hello riverdad, if you wouldn't mind I would love to try and follow you up on sat. chasing roller rider was a blast I'm ready to go again.
dingy
Buoy Boy

Postby riverdad » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:50 am

Come on - We will have a paryty! Chris (whichway) has my e-mail and phone - send me a note with your number or call me and we will set a plan
riverdad
Riverdad

Return to Wyoming