Sponsor Directory

Just learning

Just learning

Postby Bgraybea » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:27 am

Hello all! New member here. Just bought a 93 wooldridge 18' sport with a 350 kodiak. Completely new to river boating. I live near salem and was wondering if anyone had some advice on where to go to learn some water? Bought the boat vs my old lake boat because I got tired of going around in circles on a lake (or the willamette for that matter..). I've watched several santiam runs which is like 10 minutes from me as well as up the willamette in summer when it was too low in allot of places for my old boat. Looked like a blast and way closer than detroit or foster. Anyway any tips or advice to learn the area would be welcome. Very excited but still nervous about reading water and finding channels etc. I mean I think the boat can handle quite a bit ...and I know it will get dinged...but I'd rather not destroy it right off the bat haha
Bgraybea
Deck Swab

Re: Just learning

Postby NoProplem » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Best advice I could offer would be to jump in with someone with river running experience, and or join in on one of the group runs . I run the Willamette in Eugene often in the summer, santiams once or twice a year, and the McKenzie a few times every winter.. :Drink:
NoProplem
First Mate

Postby lovetheedge » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:39 pm

I am putting on a two day class in Hell's Canyon Sept 13-14, then a club run that Sat. It will cover most areas of river boating, One more slot available.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby Ahusk » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:30 pm

You can jump in and ride with me some time I usually run solo. I will PM you my phone number.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby Bgraybea » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Thank you all for responses! I'd be interested in hells canyon for sure. Provided I can get the timing down. Sounds fun tho!
Bgraybea
Deck Swab

Return to Oregon