Sponsor Directory

Mini with a snowmobile engine

Small size, big attitude!

Mini with a snowmobile engine

Postby rockdodger » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:05 pm

As the title states I am wondering if it is a decent option to use a sled engine in a mini. Due to the poor winters we have been having here in the northeast there are tons of sleds for sale cheap. What I'm specifically wondering about is the newer 4 stroke sleds, say a Yamaha rx1 has a 1000cc 3 cyl. that is around 140 hp. If I was to go 2 stroke I'd just get a donor pwc but around here the 4s pwc's seem to hold their value. I'm just in the planning stages now but looking for input as I'm narrowing down what kit/plans I want.
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Re: Mini with a snowmobile engine

Postby NV Jet » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:06 pm

What revs do those Yamaha sled engines run at? I think even the PWC jet pumps don't like to run past 8000rpm
NV Jet
Beer Boy

Postby jetboatwanabe » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:33 pm

The RX1 and APEX both have a gear reduction from crank to output shaft witch slow's them to around 8.0 to 8.5 hundred RPM's. the NITRO's run slower and don't need the gear reduction I think. Also I reserve the right to be wrong, and sure some one will correct me. I was told if you are going to boost them go with nitro as controllers are more available to tune them. two cent's worth!! :bash: :Drink1:
:chicken:
I think a guy posted on here that did a nitro, do a search or maybe some with more skills than me will help you search.
Rock Hauler and new jet boat owner YE HA 10 foot MOTO-JET
sold MOTO-JET and starting new build CJC marine MINI 12 foot, getting wet soon but still paddling for now!
jetboatwanabe
Master Baiter

Postby rockdodger » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks Jetboatwannabe I searched and found the thread you were referring to. Lots of good info
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Postby AK Explore » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:11 am

What kind of pump do you want to hook up the sled engine too? Why would you not just find a donor PWC that has everything with it?
AK Explore
Beer Boy

Postby rockdodger » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 am

Not sure yet but it seems like a ski pump is the only type that works with the high rpm engines. I'm thinking more and more that getting a donor ski is the best way. I've pretty well made up my mind that I want a 14' boat so I will need a good amount of hp.
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Postby Wiskey Tango Foxtrot » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:58 am

I've run quite a few sleds with boosted Yamaha motors in them ,up to 350 HP with 12 lbs boost on pump gas and they are a great solid motor with loads of life in them. IF I build another boat I WILL probably go that rout as spending another 12K on a donor boat can be avoided with the knowledge I have now for building, and what you end up with ? Buddy here in Kelowna has a aluminium plate for mounting a Kawasaki pump to any hull ? Yamaha mill and Kawasaki pump would be stellar !
PS If you go with a boosted motor, try to find a MC Xpress turbo system as they seem to work the best on the Yamadogs .
I took the Short Bus to school because they told me it was "Faster".....What did they tell you ?
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Buoy Boy

Postby rockdodger » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:03 am

WhiskeyTF thanks for your opinion that is kinda my thinking. I have to buy an intake anyway then just pick up a pump off ebay, don't really need a whole boat. So the Kawasaki pumps are preferred?

Another thing is closed cooling. I would like to do that rather than raw water. How are PWC to convert to closed cooling? A sled engine is already set up for it.
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Postby maximillion » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:48 am

Rock, I would go with a seadoo pump, parts are less expensive and just more of them out there. go check out ebay
maximillion
Deck Swab

Return to Mini Boats