Sponsor Directory

Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby mitch184 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:38 am

Anyone running one of these yet? I really like the idea, but I'm slow to change.
mitch184
Beer Boy
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby handyandy » Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 am

I want one, but I've been waiting to hear of people with them, and what they think.
handyandy
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby mitch184 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:29 pm

I fully support your decision to get one. Please report back after you do. :Drink:
mitch184
Beer Boy
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby handyandy » Thu May 17, 2018 2:27 pm

mitch184 wrote:I fully support your decision to get one. Please report back after you do. :Drink:


same goes for you as well haha I'm too cheap for one just yet, maybe if I bust my aluminum one I might pull the trigger. I have a rockproof UHMW one but it's rather bulky and drops my top speed some so I only use it I'm running new water or water I know a hit is imminent.
handyandy
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby fishing66 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:53 am

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....I had been asking Wooldridge about a urethane foot for 3.0L Mercury outboards and they were going to develop one once the current foot had proven itself under real-world conditions. I spoke with Lane at Wooldridge just a couple of weeks ago....he said that they were experiencing wear issues with the urethane, that they would be reformulating the material and that everything is on hold :( Rockproof makes UHMW intakes in a number of different sizes and they are available. The price has shot up from $375.00 + shipping to $500.00+ shipping, however, Brent does not and will never make a foot for 3.0L mercury engines.

Jim Starkey sells UHMW intake fins, however, he provides threaded stainless rod that is much weaker than smooth stainless rod from Outboard Jets. The threaded rod collapses at the slightest impact, rendering the intake fins useless and the threaded rod is also dang near impossible to get out of the foot once it has been severely bent.In the meantime, my solution was to make heavy-duty UHMW intake fins. I bought 1" x 4" x 12" UHMW bar and have been carefully shaping them with a table saw, router table, miter saw and drill press. The last step is to make new rods using .25" stainless. I stink at cutting threads and plan on doing a few test cuts before making the final version. That's about the best intake protection I can think of for the time being given that my engine is a 225 Pro XS. Oh well.
fishing66
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby handyandy » Thu May 24, 2018 7:12 am

I've got the rockproof intake, while durable I'm glad I got it while it was cheaper. I wouldn't have paid 500 plus shipping it's not that great real blockie looking slows you down a little. Granted I haven't tried to work it over some to stream line it more. The russian company that makes the rubber intakes has them on ebay now, might be worth messaging them to see if they would make a bigger one. I know they have a uhmw one for large series jets like on my 70 evinrude.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outboard-Jets- ... SwZZ5asnI~

I wish the rockproof one came with the washer that fit in the ob longed recessions that the nuts holding it on clamp down on.
handyandy
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby handyandy » Thu May 24, 2018 7:13 am

hell I'm tempted to buy their rubber large series intake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outboard-Jets- ... 0#viTabs_0
handyandy
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby fishing66 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:32 am

I contacted that Russian company and they don't make intakes for 3.0L Mercury engines. I wouldn't want to do business with a Russian company anyway. As to the washers, there is a reasonable easy way to make them. Go to Homies or lowes and buy a .25 x 2" in aluminum bar. Use a molding feeler gauge to get the exact shape of the indentation on the jet foot and trace that onto the aluminum. Drill a hole though it, cut it out with a jig saw and test-fit it to the jet foot. If it's a good fit, trace the outline of it several times along the aluminum bar. Drill your holes first, then cut the "washers" with a jigsaw. I did this with a prior Rockproof UHMW foot and it worked perfectly. Lowes does sell extra-thick round stainless washers and you can either cut or grind them down to fit into the indentation.
fishing66
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby handyandy » Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 am

I've thought about making them I could just haven't gotten around to it. I like the looks of the rubber intake doesn't look like it would slow the boat down at all pretty well looks to be almost the same profile as aluminum ones. I contacted them as well about the rubber intake said it comes with the intake grates, and the washers. Not a fan of doing business with a russian company, and might take a while to receive it, but if someone stateside made something similar that didn't cost an arm and leg I'd consider it. I really like the looks of the wooldridge poly intake, and hope they get it figured out. But the price is awfully hard to swallow.
handyandy
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby glen wooldridge » Tue May 29, 2018 3:16 pm

fishing66 wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....I had been asking Wooldridge about a urethane foot for 3.0L Mercury outboards and they were going to develop one once the current foot had proven itself under real-world conditions. I spoke with Lane at Wooldridge just a couple of weeks ago....he said that they were experiencing wear issues with the urethane, that they would be reformulating the material and that everything is on hold :( Rockproof makes UHMW intakes in a number of different sizes and they are available. The price has shot up from $375.00 + shipping to $500.00+ shipping, however, Brent does not and will never make a foot for 3.0L mercury engines.

Jim Starkey sells UHMW intake fins, however, he provides threaded stainless rod that is much weaker than smooth stainless rod from Outboard Jets. The threaded rod collapses at the slightest impact, rendering the intake fins useless and the threaded rod is also dang near impossible to get out of the foot once it has been severely bent.In the meantime, my solution was to make heavy-duty UHMW intake fins. I bought 1" x 4" x 12" UHMW bar and have been carefully shaping them with a table saw, router table, miter saw and drill press. The last step is to make new rods using .25" stainless. I stink at cutting threads and plan on doing a few test cuts before making the final version. That's about the best intake protection I can think of for the time being given that my engine is a 225 Pro XS. Oh well.


To clarify, we have not experienced any wear issues with the urethane material nor are we changing material. We have made heavy duty brackets to replace the special washers we had been using, and we are using different mounting nuts. There was and still is a lead time as we can only produce 2 or 3 a week with our tooling. We have requests for both the small 6 1/8’’ and the 7 7/8’’ Power Jet size, but want to cover our current tooling costs before making the additional tooling.

W/B

Image
glen wooldridge
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby handyandy » Thu May 31, 2018 10:11 am

glen does it include the grates, and bolts for grates?
handyandy
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby handyandy » Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 am

Glen completely unrelated question, but do you guys make your 4 blade impellers or are they made outside of your shop? I'm curious as I have pretty much new old style three blade 6 7/8" impeller, the new ones mercury/quicksilver sells have been cut back to better suite the four choke 60/40 engines. For whatever reason the old three blade stainless impellers seem to work best in the two stroke 60/40 engines, and I didn't know you guys or whoever makes your impellers would be capable of making the 3 blade old style to have new ones available.
handyandy
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby glen wooldridge » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:08 am

handyandy wrote:glen does it include the grates, and bolts for grates?


Yes, it comes fully assembled.
glen wooldridge
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby glen wooldridge » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:11 am

handyandy wrote:Glen completely unrelated question, but do you guys make your 4 blade impellers or are they made outside of your shop? I'm curious as I have pretty much new old style three blade 6 7/8" impeller, the new ones mercury/quicksilver sells have been cut back to better suite the four choke 60/40 engines. For whatever reason the old three blade stainless impellers seem to work best in the two stroke 60/40 engines, and I didn't know you guys or whoever makes your impellers would be capable of making the 3 blade old style to have new ones available.


I own the tooling for the impellers we sell, they are cast at a local foundry. I no longer have tooling for the 3 blade impellers.
glen wooldridge
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby handyandy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:11 am

wish you could make the three blades, idk why but it seems in the 6 7/8" the old style stainless three blades work the best in the two stroke 60/40 engines.
handyandy
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby glen wooldridge » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:30 pm

handyandy wrote:wish you could make the three blades, idk why but it seems in the 6 7/8" the old style stainless three blades work the best in the two stroke 60/40 engines.


On a light boat 4-blade has no advantage, on a heavy boat the 4-blade hauls more weight.
glen wooldridge
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: Wooldridge Poly Jet Foot

Postby handyandy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:19 am

I'm aware on a smaller boat the 4 blade doesn't help, most 60/40 engines aren't going on heavy boats since they can't push a ton to begin with. Getting hard to come by the old style 3 blade stainless impellers that's why I asked about them. I have a worn beyond use old 3 blade, and one that is pretty much brand new, but have been running aluminum as I don't want to wear out the new one if I can't find them reasonably priced anymore. The new stainless 3 blades merc/quicksilver sells the top/trailing edge of the impeller blades are cut back. I've been saving the new ones in hopes of being able to find some place that could make them. But most places don't wanna mess with something like that if isn't done in larger order.
handyandy
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am


Return to Outboard Jet

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron