Sponsor Directory

2005 Marine Power 6.0 Liter Engine - Really Low Oil Pressure

Moderator: markh2000

Re: 2005 Marine Power 6.0 Liter Engine - Really Low Oil Pres

Postby chariotdriver » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:10 am

Hillbilly wrote:I've been following this thread closely, hoping for some info. I have 2 Kodak 6.0L in my boat (2003) and just one of them shows low oil pressure. Every start up, the low oil light and gage shows no pressure. After warm up light goes away and gage just moves up just enough that it's not resting on the 0. Worried me, so checked This and that, replaced oil sending unit "twice". But after 5 years and 3000 hours I'm just running it like there nothing wrong.

Impressive longevity; what oil brand/weight have you been using?
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby drmiller101 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:43 pm

So I went out on the net and researched a bunch.

It seems there is a TSB on some cars for this issue, mostly newer, but I can't figure out what engines this applies to.

It seems there is a screen under the oil pressure switch which "screens" stuff out of the pressure switch and the oil galley for the lifters. Apparently this screen gets plugged, and you can have 50 psi on the bottom half of the engine, and 10 psi on the top half.

To check, remove the oil pressure switch. Reach down with a pick and fish the screen out. A cynic might crank the engine over with fuel off to use the oil pump to push any crap out of the galley.

Clean the screen. Put it back together.

that's what the internet says, which is worth about half what you just paid for it.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/vortec-5 ... 19271.html
drmiller101
Master Baiter

Postby da prof » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:03 am

Boss, what ever came of the oil change. I have a mid 2000s 6l that just passed the 50 hour mark and is now showing no oil pressure on start check engine light is on and I am starting this process from the beginning. Any help would be great. I was going to start with the water inlet and heat exchanger since the problem started in sandy and dirty water conditions although it sounds like that could be unrelated. Unfortunately I am no engine guru so my experience and ability is lacking.
Questions
How did you install a engine mounted oil pressure gauge?
Did you ever have coolant leaks?
Did you bother checking compression?
Did your motor ever run sloppy?
07 Edge Marine Sport SE - 6.0L - 212
da prof
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Hoss 350 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:27 am

da prof wrote:Boss, what ever came of the oil change. I have a mid 2000s 6l that just passed the 50 hour mark and is now showing no oil pressure on start check engine light is on and I am starting this process from the beginning. Any help would be great. I was going to start with the water inlet and heat exchanger since the problem started in sandy and dirty water conditions although it sounds like that could be unrelated. Unfortunately I am no engine guru so my experience and ability is lacking.
Questions
How did you install a engine mounted oil pressure gauge?
Did you ever have coolant leaks?
Did you bother checking compression?
Did your motor ever run sloppy?

Hey gang;

sorry, I've been absolutely terrible about checking this recently. New baby, trying to move... you know, the standard excuses... :Noteeth:

I mounted the mechanical gauge off the plugs in the side of the oil filter housing. There are plugs in there, i assume, to either add an oil cooler or a second oil filter, and they're blocked off. Just unscrew one, and get the proper IP brass fittings to plumb in your mechanical gauge.

No coolant leaks

have not checked compression

Engine starts and runs like a top every time. No noise, no knocking, ticking, rattling, nothing. She runs like a dream.
Hoss 350
Captain

Previous

Return to Pacific Powertrain