Sponsor Directory

Air actuated stomp grate ?'s

Moderator: markh2000

Air actuated stomp grate ?'s

Postby Mr GlocknHalligan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:30 am

I'm looking at adding the air actuation kit from PT and was wondering if anyone has used it before. My main question is reguarding the air supply to active the grate. My idea is to use a 4500psi SCBA bottle or co2 bottle and for go the compressor. Anyone tried such a deal? My local welding shop will refill the co2 for free when it's empty and I have access to a 6000 psi air compressor so refilling won't be a problem. Any input would be awesome.
North River Commander X - 6L - HJ212
Mr GlocknHalligan
Deck Swab

Re: Air actuated stomp grate ?'s

Postby tnairn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:18 pm

I was wondering the same thing but was hoping for a paintball tank for the weight and size savings, what is your angle with such a big tank?
tnairn
Master Baiter

Postby Mr GlocknHalligan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:04 am

I have ties with a local comapny who provides SCBA equipment to fire departments. All aluminium bottles only come in 30 min 2216 psi. The good thing is they are good until they don't pass hydro. Carbon comes in 30/45/60 min. The 30 is smaller than the aluminium. They come in both 2216 and 4500 psi versions. The good thing with compressed air is the ability to mount at any angle. Bad thing is the carbon bottle has a service life of 15 years. The good thing about CO2 is it's mantains roughly 800 psi till the last drop and you don't have a missile following you around. Bad is it needs to stay verticle. I'd think a paintball tank might be a little small. Not much capacity. Maybe a couple actuation a at best would be my guess.
North River Commander X - 6L - HJ212
Mr GlocknHalligan
Deck Swab

Postby lovetheedge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 am

I have their power grate and I would not want a limited amount of air on board. I once went through a weed patch and had to use it many times until I got out of the patch as the weeds were very narrow and pliable preventing complete clearing of the weeds from the grate. You want this thing to work all the time without concern for running out of air, this is a safety issue. Also the air compressor is much smaller than scuba tanks and weights less. Pulling and replacing the tank each time you want to refill is a time consuming chore as well. I would go with the way it was designed to work.
lovetheedge
Master Baiter

Return to Pacific Powertrain